Wednesday, July 28, 2004

~The World Is My Oyster ~


I have never been able to figure out what this saying means. "The world is my oyster". Not quite sure why I am thinking about it right now, but I decided to do a search. The very first entry, this is what it said:

Q. Did Shakespeare coin the phrase "the world is my oyster"?

A. Yes. The quote comes from Shakespeare's only comedy set in England, "The Merry Wives of Windsor":

Why, then the world's mine oyster,
Which I with sword will open.
Pistol -- (2.2.3-4)

I read Shakespeare in high school, and I believe in college, but if I were playing Jeopardy right now there is no way that I would have remembered that this quote was coined by Shakespeare. Fancy though that it stuck in my head. The memory is a boggling thing. My memory has changed over the years, can't remember stuff quite like I used to. I believe it’s because of the medication that I take, but none-the-less one can't quite stop worrying about whether or not they will get Alzheimer's in their golden years. I don’t know which is worse, The Big A or The Big C. Nearly my entire adult life I have had such bad luck that I am hoping, starting today, that as I enter the middle phase of my life that my luck will change and among other things, allow me to stay healthy till the end of my days. I believe that I have paid my dues, in full.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home